Blank Needlepoint Canvas
The type of blank needlepoint canvas you need for your needlepoint project will depend upon what you plan to use it for.
Needlepoint canvas is made from cotton and woven into a mesh. Blank needlepoint canvas with 18 holes to the inch is called an "18 mesh canvas" and a canvas with 12 holes per inch is called a "12 mesh", or "12 gauge", canvas. The higher the number, the smaller the holes! Read on to find out more about the types of blank needlepoint canvas or;
See all blank needlepoint canvas options and purchase.
Blank Needlepoint Canvas - Mono
- This is a single mesh canvas which means it is woven with a single thread.
- The threads are woven over and under each other in a typical weaving pattern and held together at the junction by sizing (starch).
- Mono blank needlepoint canvas is a good choice for stitching projects that are going to be used as furnishings, such as chair cushions. The mono canvas will "give" at the junctions rather than break under wear and tear conditions.
- Available in 13 mesh and 18 mesh for needlepoint.
- Available in white or brown.
Click here for white mono blank needlepoint canvas.
Click here for brown mono blank needlepoint canvas.
Blank Needlepoint Canvas - Interlock
- This is also a single thread needlepoint canvas but it is interlocked at the junctions - it looks like one thread goes through the middle of another where they intersect.
- Interlock blank needlepoint canvas is a good canvas to use for irregular-shaped needlepoint projects. It is cheaper than mono canvas too - about half the price.
- Available in mesh sizes 10-18 for needlepoint.
- Color is white.
Click here for interlock canvas options.
Blank Needlepoint Canvas - Penelope
- Penelope is a double thread canvas which makes it strong and the best choice for furnishings and projects that will get a lot of wear and tear.
- With a penelope canvas you can stitch all the holes (this is called petit point) or you can just stitch the big holes (gros point). Most stitchers stitch a penelope needlepoint canvas doing both - they stitch the small holes for the detailed areas of the design, and the large holes using a thicker thread for the background.
- Penelope blank needlepoint canvas is only available in size 10/20 - this is 10 holes to the inch if you are only counting the big holes (gros point), or 20 holes to the inch if you are counting all the holes (petit point).
- Color is brown.
Click here for penelope canvas options.
Blank needlepoint canvas can be washed in water either before or after it has been stitched, but you first need to ensure the threads are colorfast.
Needlepoint Newsletter Sign Up
Get our FREE newsletter with tips and techniques, new products and sale items. It's a quick, fun and informative read. Delivered FREE to your in-box every two weeks.
As a THANK YOU for signing up we will email you a 10% discount coupon.
Rest assured, we will never share, rent, or sell your info to anyone.